Announcing the Independent Bookstore Reader’s Challenge!
I recently found scores of reader’s challenges on the Internet, I’d never heard of them. There is a reader’s challenge for everything: short stories, WWII books, world citizen (history and politics), art history, graphic novels (Claire should join this one), RYOB (read your own books), essays, chick lit (everyone participating in this challenge should read Claire’s three fiction books), Notable books, chunkie books (books longer than 450 pages), young adult books, and many more. Then it occurred to me, Claire and I could do the same thing. I’m really excited about hosting our own challenge right here on Bookstore People. So we’re announcing the Independent Bookstore Reader’s Challenge. Claire’s a bit terrified about the prospect, but I’m confident she’ll love it.
Here are the rules: go to independent bookstores that are new to you between January 1 and December 31, 2009 and have some sort of interaction. The challenge comes with different levels you can sign up for:
- Scout – Visit 2 independent bookstores (easy!)
- Specialist – Visit 2 subject matter specialty bookstores (i.e., travel, children, cooking)
- Nationalist – Visit 2 independent bookstores and 1 additional bookstore in a state you do not live in
- Continental – Visit 2 independent bookstores and 1 additional bookstore in another N. American country (that would be the USA, Canada or Mexico)
- Globetrotter – Visit 2 independent bookstores and 1 additional bookstore on a different continent (if you’re going to Europe, check out Bookstore Guide)
- Type A Personality to the Max – Satisfy any two categories
We’ll have a page dedicated to the challenge where you can sign up and leave comments. Plus, we’d love to have a review of the stores you’ve found and liked (we ignore stores with bad service or stock), we’ll post it with a description of you and a link back to your blog (if you have one), just e-mail it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. In fact, we encourage cross posting bookstore reviews so post on your blog, Indiebound, Yelp, City Search, City Guide and any other place that would like it.
We’ll Give out a Prize!
But wait, there’s even more, at the end of the year we’ll have a random drawing among everyone who satisfied their challenge for a gift certificate from BookSense. What more could you want? Sign up now and start exploring the wonderful world of independent bookstores.